Abandon property possession question

Asked 8 months ago - Kissimmee, FL

I would like to know if it's possible to take over an abandon property, move in, clean and fix it up and live in it and if the owners never return could i have it deeded in my name? I see so many and most but not all were left from the hurricanes in 04 and some decades before that. I have building skills and could fix just about anything and would love a place I can call home and don't mind putting as much sweat into as it would take in-order to put a claim on it, and sense nobody seems to want it anymore is there some kind of law that would allow me to do this! . Thanks everyone!

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jacqueline Alicia Salcines


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . I think you already know the answer to that question.

  2. Stephen Kyle Hachey

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . Adverse possession. However, I would highly not recommend it nor do I represent anyone in any adverse possession claims. You could be arrested for trespassing, breaking and entering, etc. before the seven years it takes to satisfy the adverse possession requirements. Offices: Tampa

    This answer is for general informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,108 answers this week

3,043 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,108 answers this week

3,043 attorneys answering