Skip to main content

A week after a car accident can you get issued a ticket even if the officer told you weren't getting one?

Michigan |

Last tuesday we had a bad snow storm I was almost home when a bus was coming around the corner taking up the whole street, this caused me to try and turn sharply...the car wouldnt turn and i slid straight ahead. The officer said it was a nasty day out and things like this happen just be more careful next time and i wont give you a ticket. Exactly one week later the officer calls my house saying the leutenit looked at the police report and even though he said he wouldnt give me a ticket the leutenit decided to give me one. Can they really just decide that after the scene of the accident was left and the police report was already made.... ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4



It's not a great idea to represent yourself in court. You do, however, have the constitutional right to do so. I would recommend spending an entire day in the traffic court to observe how judges handle self-represented defendants to get an idea of how irritated they get at amateur lawyering. If you really want to represent yourself, you should purchase an hour of an attorney's time to have her or him coach you on how to handle things.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "Pro Se: Why Risk It?"

A better choice is simply to hire an attorney.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "What Do I Tell My Lawyer?"

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This observation is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. This observation is not like a communication with a lawyer with whom you have an attorney-client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides


Yes, but depending on your state's laws regarding criminal/traffic procedure, you may have a procedural defense. You would if this were a Virginia case. Contact a local attorney to obtain the best result. Do not reccommend that you represent yourself.


The answer is yes, they can issue a ticket after a car accident, even a week later, but you also likely will have a good chance of having the ticket dismissed entirely, or plead to a nonmoving violation if you contest the ticket in court. It sounds like the police officer will remember the incident, and will likely go along with a request to have the ticket dismissed. If you need to review your Michigan no fault benefits or car damage rights, there is a lot of helpful information on my website,
Good luck. The worst that can happen is you have to pay the ticket anyways, but you have a lot of upside here based upon the facts.


Definitely yes.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer