A very heavy vanity mirror fell on top of me in the Hotel Restroom in LA. I have not pursued legal yet. what is my first step

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

indecent took place about 3-4 months ago. I have not been examined but I definitely have damage to my spinal cord and herniated disks. settlement was talked about at time of injury but I told them my father would discuss with lawyers. I haven't been able to work and I am in so much pain I can barely stand it. The force of the mirror has given me trauma and I am looking to be compensated.

1. Malosack Berjis

26

Answered . I'm assuming that you have already sought medical treatment (which would explain how you know that there has been damage to your spinal and that you have herniated discs). So, your next step now would be to consult with & retain a local personal injury attorney to deal with the hotel & their insurance company, in order to try to get you the compensation that you deserve.

2. Adrienne Patricia Allen

24

1

Answered . You should immediately go to the doctor and get medical treatment first. Then hire a personal injury attorney to represent you. The difficulty now due to the delay in getting to the doctor will be in proving your injuries were caused by the incident. Hopefully, you reported the incident and injuries to hotel management when it happened. Good luck to you.

3. Kristin E. Hobbs

23

Answered . Contact a personal injury attorney immediately. You do not want to compromise your rights. My office or any other personal injury attorney you may find on here would be more than happy to speak with you.

Keep in mind the lapse in time between the incident and treatment will be an issue. Even if you decide against speaking with an attorney and want to pursue this on your own, you must see a doctor and begin treatment.

Pro

24

Answered . Get medical attention, and then call one of the personal injury lawyers in your state who answered above to investigate.

5. Lawrence W. Freiman

22

Answered . You should contact a personal injury attorney immediately before speaking with the hotel or their insurance company. Time limitations may bar your claims so you should do this as soon as possible.

6. Constantine D. Buzunis

21

Answered . Well i can't believe you are in so much pain and have not gotten yourself to a doctor! You may be doing additional harm to yourself by not seeking treatment. Get to your family doctor right away and ask them to refer you to orthopedic and neurological doctors for evaluation. You will also need to have x-rays, and maybe an MRI and electrodiagnostic testing to see what might be causing the pain, numbness and tingling.
    You also need to immediately seek the advise and representation of an experienced premises liabilty/personal injury lawyer to handle your claim and advise you on how to proceed. You need to move forward ASAP in order to help yourself get better!

7. Michael R Crosner

21

Answered . Sorry to hear about your injuries. Sounds like you have a good case that need proper investigation & handling by a local personal injury attorney. Your injuries sound severe & you will need to be compensation for your medical bills; lost wages; and pain & suffering. Do not give any statements to any claims representatives etc. Most personal injury attorneys like myself give free initial consultations. Consult with an attorney immediately!!

8. Jeffrey Mark Adams

22

Answered . Hopefully, you get well soon. Contact local and qualified personal injury litigation counsel. The delay may be very detrimental to establishing your case. Proving the incident and establishing your loss are necessary elements.

9. Timothy Leo Bowden

22

Answered . you have to get medical treatment immediately. you need to contact a local attorney on this site asap. they will direct you and advise you.

10. Paul J Molinaro

Pro

17

Answered . If a person suffers harm because of the negligence of another, said victim needs to do the following: First - immediately get medical attention. Second - hire a personal injury attorney. We personal injury type lawyers offer free consultations and take cases on a contingent (meaning our client does not pay unless he or she "wins" money).

That said, when someone is really injured, he or she probably doesn't need to be reminded to see a doctor right away - that's how juries see it, by the way. The longer a person waits to see a doctor, the less likely a juror will be a believer of "pain." Thus, delayed medical care can hurt a case. However, such a case may still have merit and value and such a victim should seek legal counsel right after getting that delayed medical attention.

- Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
    Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
    Fransen & Molinaro, LLP
    980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206
    Corona, CA 92879
    (951)520-9684
    www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com

"When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW."

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.
    ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

11. Richard Andrew Harting

Pro

16

Answered . get your medical treatment underway, if haven't already. Consult with and retain an attorney to handle this matter.