A unwed parent has died their are 5 children left in this world My name is only on two of the birth certificates can i take them

Asked about 1 year ago - Clarksville, TN

My girlfriend and I have 5 children I only signed my name on two of the children's birth certificates her family is saying no do I have rights to take all the children or only two me and the mom never married were not living in the same house hold and even have domestic violence between us both.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Nathan Zale Dowlen

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You are in a tough spot. You are the "presumed father" to 2 of the kids. You are not yet the legal father to any of them. Without marriage, there needs to be a court order for you to have legal rights. If you want your kids, you need to hire an attorney and file a custody petition.

    Please note that my answering this question, does not, in any way, mean I represent you for this, or any other... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now