A tenant smashed the back door. Can I nullify his lease, due to breaking the contract, via texting?

Asked over 1 year ago - Saint Augustine, FL

A couple signed the lease. They broke up and she kicked him out. He broke into the house by destroying the back door. Destruction of the property violates the lease agreement. May I text him that his rights to the property are rescinded?

1. Daniel Karl Hilbert

3

Answered . Be careful and read Florida Statute 83.56(2) very carefully. First, to evict for issues other than non payment of rent you would have to provide written notice 7 days in advance to the tenant at the house. A text message will not suffice. That being said, I have found that judges do not like to evict tenants for damages under around $1000.00, regardless of the fact that there is no minimum amount needed to evict under 83.56(2)(a). They actually prefer that you give the Tenant the opportunity to cure, I.e. fix the damage they caused. Read 83.56(2)(b) for further explanation. If you follow the statute and they do not repair within a specific period of time, then you can begin the process to evict them. This process can be complicated as there are quite a few specific requirements that you have to follow in order to be successful, if you are unclear on anything I recommend you consult an attorney rather that risk making a mistake. I handle evictions of this nature if you need any further assistance!

www.danielkhilbert.com

2. Roberto Mauricio Vazquez

2

Answered . You may also want to look to your lease to see if it provides for a specific method in which notice must be given to the tenant. As previously stated, your best bet would probably be to provide them with a 7 day notice with the ability to cure.

3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . In short--no.
    There are facts and circumstances that need to be clarified before deciding how you should proceed.

Recommend you chat with a FL LL-tenant attorney before you take any action .