A subordinate manager was terminated for poor job performance and now has accused me of asking her for sexual favors.

Asked 8 months ago - Saint Petersburg, FL

I was hired by the Franchisee of a local QSR group to get his restaurants back to operating standards and profitability. One of the asst managers was let go about three weeks into the process for cause, she just flat out refused to be a part of the team and wanted to do her own thing. About a week after she was let go we got a letter from the EEOC claiming that I asked for sexual favors in return for her job security. I have an excellent reputation in the Tampa area and don't want it questioned by this misguided individual. I'm seeking some advice as I look to protect my reputation, I will gladly take and pay for a polygraph if it would be helpful.
Thank you

1. Christopher Robert Dillingham II

8

Answered . The franchise should hire an attorney to defend the franchise. That attorney may or may not also protect you. Polygraph results are not admissible in court under the Frye or Daubert standards. Yiu should consider hiring an attorney.

2. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

7

Answered . You really should at the very least consult with an attorney about this. Do not take a polygraph test, don't even think about it.

3. Alberto Marino Quirantes Jr.

Pro

7

Answered . This is a civil law question but this is a criminal law forum.

4. Christine C McCall

Pro

7

Answered . As I read your post, you are asking whether there is some way to shut down or opt out of this investigation of a baseless allegation. The answer to that question is "no." Once the report is made, absent a withdrawal of the claim and allegation by the complainant, the accused person has no ability to simply shut the process down with a denial. It isn't clear from your post whether you are an employee or contractor for the franchisee. If an employee, your employer should engage counsel and defend here. If you are a contractor, you should tender notice of the accusation to your liability carrier.

5. Kevin Dwyer Fitzpatrick

4

Answered . Generally speaking, you do not have recourse to recover damages because someone has named you in a sexual harassment EEOC Charge. With regard to your exposure for liablility, anindividual employed by a corporate employer has no liability under Title VII. You might, however, have some personal exposure under Florida law. You would be well served to engage competent emplopyment law counsel to sort out your options.