A second conviction for marijuana possession in Wisconsin is a felony, punishable by up to 3 years- would this be a predicate?

I have a misdemeanor offense in FL from 7 years ago for possession of drug paraphenalia, and I don't want to get busted with a dime bag of pot and have another felony. A criminal defense attorney up here told me I'm okay, the statute does not specifically mention paraphenalia, I believe the rule of lenity would come into play if nothing else- see 961.41(3g)(e), "For purposes of this paragraph, an offense is considered a 2nd or subsequent offense if, prior to the offender's conviction of the offense, the offender has at any time been convicted of any felony or misdemeanor under this chapter or under any statute of the United States or of any state relating to controlled substances, controlled substance analogs, narcotic drugs, marijuana, or depressant, stimulant, or hallucinogenic drug."

Eau Claire, WI -

Karyn T. Missimer

Karyn T. Missimer

Criminal Defense Attorney - Janesville, WI

I think both interpretations are reasonable. I see how a prior out of state conviction for drug paraphernalia falls under a broad statutory interpretation and outside a narrow statutory interpretation. Perhaps, you are right and the rule of lenity would apply. But, why risk it?

Good luck!

Nick Passe

Nick Passe

Criminal Defense Attorney - La Crosse, WI

My reading of the statute strongly suggest the Florida conviction would be a valid predicate conviction. Stay off the dope if you can :)

Tajara Dommershausen

Tajara Dommershausen

Criminal Defense Attorney - Menasha, WI

Your prior conviction would make any current possession a possible felony charge (it is up to the DA whether they charge it as one).

Karyn T. Missimer

Karyn T. Missimer

Good luck!