A s the Trustee am I entitled to deduct expenses for managing a trust until it is fully disbursed?

Asked about 1 year ago - Freehold, NJ

My dad passed away, my children were minors at the time.. They have turned 18 and now I am being sued to distribute money from the trust. Am I entitled to deduct expenses for managing the trust the last 3 years and for my expenses do deal with this law suit? the trust is under $50,000.

1. Timothy Joseph Hardesty

2

1

Answered . The answer will depend on the language of the trust. You should speak to a local trust attornet.

Generally, a Trustee is allowed to use trust assets to pay for, or reimburse the Trustee for, expenses related to the management of the Trust, including defending law suits. However, many Trusts have language specifically stating that a Trustee may not be reimbursed by the Trust for attorneys fees in a suit where the Trustee is found to have acted in violation of their fiduciary duty as Trustee.

2. Sean Patrick Lewis

2

1

Answered . Your children are suing you? I'm very sorry to hear that. If you are supposed to distribute money, then please do it. As to the expenses and such, you can do what the trust allows. Please engage trust counsel in your area for detailed help.

3. Leonard Roy Boyer

Answered . As my colleagues said in their answers it depends on the language of the trust.