A relative of ours was raped almost 4years ago would. She is now opening to us about it. The man who raped her is in Mexico?

San Diego, CA |

I have a cousin who was raped when she was 8yrs old and me-lasted for 4yrs by her stepdad. She is now opening to us about it. Her parents live in Mexico and have 2 kids who are American citizen. He is threaten my aunt and has people follow her. He is a very dangerous man, he is always armed and is a drug-dealer in Mexico!! She is not a US citizen and is undocumented, and is currently living in Mexico. Can anything be done to reassure us her safety from here? Can she move to the US with her kids? If so..What documentation is needed with immigration? What are some options??

1. I'm not sure there is much you can do if they are both in Mexico. The prosecutor's office can't proceed with a case if they don't have a victim. Even if they did decide to proceed, they would have to extradite him which would also be a difficult task.

As for the immigration matters, you should speak with an immigration attorney regarding her plight.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

2. No. Not likely. Report the matter to the police in Mexico.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

3. Mexico has jurisdiction over crimes that occur in Mexico. There is nothing that can be done from the US.

4. Sounds like an issue to be dealt with by the Mexican authorities.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555

Criminal defense Topics