Skip to main content

A relative been supporting me for over a year. I have not been working, i now got a social sec number- he wants to file taxes.

Waltham, MA |

Can my relative file taxes with me as a dependant, since he has been supporting me for over a year, i have not been working but i have now aquired a social security number and EAD to start work. What paper work does he need to file the tax returns with me as his dependant, will this have any negative effect to him or to me in future when i file by myself. Please advise

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The question of who can file taxes is better left to a tax preparer.

This information is provided as a public service to provide a general answer and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

Robin A. O'Neil-Manning

Robin A. O'Neil-Manning


I agree with Attorney Gibney ,however, if you cannot afford a tax preparer or accountant, then I suggest you try TurboTax or another reputable tax program. You can bring prepared taxes to an outfit like H&R Block and they can check it over for you, and answer your questions, there is a fee for this service, but usually minimal.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer