Skip to main content

A question was asked that was not answered. I have a crooked Opposing Counsel that purposely did not notice me on hearings whe

Los Angeles, CA |
Filed under: Evidence Appeals

instructed by the Judge to do so. Judge doesn't believe me. So I have to appeal. But the answer we are all looking for is a letter in the mail legal proof of service. Because it is not 'proof' of anything. The fact that the other side is responsible to notify is insane.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I'm sorry, but I don't see a question here.

Part of a judge's job is to make a ruling on who is telling the truth, and it appears that the judge did not believe you. I agree that is unfortunate, but it happens.

I strongly urge you to review your file with an attorney to figure out what can be done. An appeal that simply says "I was not served with certain papers and the judge did not believe me" will most likely fail. Having said that, there may be other arguments that have a better chance of success.

Best of luck to you.


I agree with Attorney Perry--that is, unfortunately, I don't see a question, in your post, either.


Here is the problem: the appellate court will not simply decide that the trial court should have believed you. If this issue is truly an issue of credibility, then you most likely will suffer an unfortunate financial result. But the attorneys here are NOT convinced that this issue is one solely of credibility. There may be a presumption in the law that the court was required to give effect to and didn't. There may be a standard of evidence that the court was required to find before making a determination and failed to find. No one can give you an exhaustive list of the grounds on which you may have some recourse without knowing the facts and circumstances in detail. If the present result is truly unacceptable, then scrape together the very minimal cost for a consultation with a local litigator. That will be faster, cheaper, and much more reliably predictive than taking a blind shot with the appellate court on an issue of pure credibility.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.


You are jumping to a lot of conclusions when you say opposing counsel "purposely" did not serve notice of hearing. A letter in the mail, by itself, probably would not be the required proof. However, a letter coupled with an executed proof of service (which would usually be proof enough, itself) may constitute sufficient evidence for the court to rule that you had actual notice of the hearing. BTW, the attitude expressed in your question is unlikely to get a sympathetic responses here or before the court.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer