A question about USCIS nationality category C11.

Asked over 3 years ago - West Palm Beach, FL

My friend washed ashore from Cuba 10 months ago and was issued a category C11; we know it means Public Interest Paroled but we are not cleared as to whether or not he can adjust status based on the Cuban Adjust Act and if so, can his wife -who is not Cuban- adjust through the same means? His wife is a tourist with a valid tourist visa.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jeffrey Adam Devore

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The facts you present keep changing. Previously you said that the fried had adjusted his status. Now he was just paroled. Now that it is more clear, the C11 you are referring to is the category in which your friend was issued an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). This category is for those aliens who have been paroled in the public interest.

    Since your friend is Cuban It would therefore appear that he is eligible for adjustment of status under the Cuban Adjustment Act after being physically present in the U.S. for 1 year. His spouse and step child would also be eligible as dependents.

    The only way to be sure is to schedule a consultation with a reputable immigration attorney who can review all of the documents in their possession and the specific facts of the case. You are never going to get a definitive answer in this forum.

    While written by an attorney who is a Florida Bar Certified Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law, the... more
  2. Elizabeth Rose Blandon


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Cuban nationals who have been present in the United States for over a year may adjust based on the Cuban Adjustment Act. Their spouse and children are also eligible to receive this benefit. For guidance through the process and representation at the immigration interview, please consult with an experienced attorney.

    This attorney is Board Certified, speaks Spanish and French, and has an office in South Florida. For more information, click through to the web site.

    Elizabeth R. Blandon

    This attorney is Board Certified, speaks Spanish and French and has an office in South Florida. For more... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,414 answers this week

2,341 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,414 answers this week

2,341 attorneys answering