Skip to main content

A Public defender was handling my daughters case and she received a letter stating the lawyer was suspended from the bar.How do

West Covina, CA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

How do i find out who is handling her case now.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Have your daughter call the public defender's office and ask. She should be assigned another attorney in the office.

    The above answer is intended for general information only. It is not legal advice and does not establish an attorney client relationship. For a free consultation, users in Northern California may contact Che L. Hashim, Esq. at (415) 487-1700.

  2. Call the Public Defender and ask who is handling the case. There is a possibility (I have seen it) that the lawyer did not notify his employer of the suspension. If he still has the case, she should complain and get a different lawyer. I do not know the procedural posture of the case, but if a suspended lawyer has handled significant parts of the case, and the suspension is for serious misconduct, you should have her consult outside counsel.

  3. Call the Public Defender's Office. Or, seek out an experienced criminal litigator for a free consultation. A good place to start is by going to the website for the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers ( Clicking on this link will take you to the part of their site that links you to a map of the US where you can click on your jurisdiction to find an affiliate local organization. There is also a link to find members of NACDL near you. Meet several that offer free consultation. Hire one that you feel comfortable with and you can afford. There is no confidentiality online.
    NACDL Local affiliates:
    NACDL local members: | For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.877.452.9457. Attorney James Regan, LL.M, Esq., is a Florida lawyer answering questions pro bono. Answering these consumer questions based on limited and unverified facts does not create an attorney-client relationship. Being posted on the internet, these questions and answers are not confidential. For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.800.452.9357.

  4. If you want to check the lawyers bar status enter his name at You can check the profile of any California attorney there.

  5. There are a few things that you can do (1) get a new PD (2) get the alternate PD or (3) get a private attorney who can spend time ont he case.

    Elliot Zarabi

  6. The PD's office is still handling the case. Your daughters case will be reassigned to another pd. you can try and call the pd's office and find out which pd will be handling the case.

    This advice does not create an attorney client relationship and should only be used for informational purposes.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics