A promissory note and it is notarized that he will pay me x amount of money each month.does that note hold up in court in fl.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Port Saint Lucie, FL

we have been seperated for 7 years and he promissed to pay x amount of money. he left me suddenly without a warning ,i had no job , i am disabled have a house to support and a lot of doctor bills.he has been helping me but only off and on. i am indigent and need his support money to live i do not want to go thru a divorce and neither does he. will the promissory note hold up in the courts of florida if he defaults, or do i also have to file and record the promissory note at the clerk of court. in florida ?is it a legal document? thank you ,marita keenan

1. Marshall C Deason Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . Notarizing a promissory note does not make it any more likely that it will hold up in court. The enforceability of a promissory note depends on its provisions, whether there was consideration for it, and whether its collection is barred by the statute of limitations. You should have your note reviewed by an experienced lawyer in your area.

2. Jeffrey B. Lampert

Pro

Answered . Mr. Deason is correct that having a document "notarized" does not make it any more enforceable than one which is not. The same goes for recording the note in the public records. The mere recording does not make the note more enforceable.