A police report was filed for harrassment, it is now in the proscutors office, what happens next?

Asked about 3 years ago - Millville, NJ

I received a call from the office after the report was filed, indicating to stop contact that if i contiued to call then I am open for a complaint to be filed. I did not make anymore contact what happens next? I live in Pennsylvania and this person lives in New jersery

1. Mark M Cheser

Best Answer

Answered . You do not provide enough information. Is there an existing FRO (restraining order)? Is this a harassment charge or a contempt of the existing TRO or FRO? Harassment is a petty disorderly persons offense. To go to the county prosecutor this would have to be a contempt charge. The town prosecutor usually does not get involved in the charging process. Call my office with more information for a telephone consultation.

2. Eric M. Mark

Pro

Answered . It sounds like there are no charges pending, but could be if you make further contact. However, it is impossible to offer any advice or assessment based on the little information you provided.

3. James R Fridie III

Pro

Answered . Harassment is a disorderly persons offense. If you are charged this matter will be heard at the Municipal Court level. My advice to you is to refrain from contacting this person further. While its a disorderly person's offense, there are fines, possible jail time, and a conviction that would be on your record for five years before it could be expunged.

4. Ronald Edward Aronds

Answered . From what you say it does not appear that an actual criminal complaint has been filed against you, and that you were warned to cease whatever behavior or else a complaint would be issued. If you do get a complaint against you then please contact my office for a free consultation. Thank you.
    Sincerely yours, -Ronald Aronds, Esq.-