A police office called me to come down for an interview to close a case, am i obligated to go or should i avoid incriminating me

21 year old having sex with 16, consensual

1. Do NOT go. Assert your 5th Amendment right to remain silent. The ONLY reason the officer wants to talk to you is to try and get you to incriminate yourself.

2. Unless you fancy some substantial time in prison, do not go down for an interview. Police will use all kinds of strategems to get you to speak with them that are often permitted. This could be one. Hire counsel to communicate with the officer and try to get what you need out of the case. Whether you go or ignore the officer and not hire counsel to help, you may find yourself in a worse position. However, speaking with the officer is your worst possible option.

The information provided herein does not create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided is to suggerst some general principles and should not be relied upon for client decisions. Only upon the hiring of counsel can such advice be custom-tailored to the client's specific situation and needs.

3. Stop posting facts here since it is a public form and contact an experienced criminal defense attorney in your area immediately!

4. Do not go. He probably wants you to come down to the station to arrest you. He does not want to have to go find you. This is a major sex offense case. What you need to do is hire an attorney for "Pre Filing" to discuss this case with the Detective and work to prevent a filing. Give me a call for a consultation.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
    (310) 707-7131
    www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

5. Hopefully you got the message: don't go. Get an attorney asap

6. You DO NOT GO. You DO NOT say anything. There is a right to remain silent for a very good reason. You should hire counsel right away who can do the speaking for you. This is the whole point of hiring a lawyer. There may be benefit to speaking to law enforcement but only an experienced criminal defense attorney can assess that and only after a thorough interview and assessment of the case and benefit, if any, to speaking to law enforcement. Our office offers a free initial consult. I would urge you to call us before making this critical decision.

Brian Michaels
    Los Angeles County Criminal Defense
    www.socalcrimdefense.com
    3109919179