A pit bull dog bit my dog, causing a 1" permanent scar on my service dog's mouth while in a pet store. What should I do?

Asked 11 months ago - Seattle, WA

While standing in line in a Petco, a pit bull bit my service dog on the mouth causing a permanent 1" scar. My dog approached the vicious dog in the line, but didn't instigate anything other than trying to be friendly by approaching him. The store employees didn't do anything about it, but rather their dog trainer said it was my fault for letting my dog approach the other dog (impossible to avoid in line). I yelled for the immediate removal of the pit bull and nobody did anything whatsoever.

I do not have the pit bull's owner info, but the store does. They are unwilling to provide me the info. The store offered me a $50 shopping card, but I feel that is too little. What should I do if I feel I'm being under compensated?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Golnar Sargeant

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You should have called the cops immediately when it happened. They would have detained this person and gotten their info for the police report. At this point, you can call the non-emergency number of the police department and see what they can do. You are entitled to sue this other dog owner for the damages to your dog and vet bills. If the cops can not help, then see about contacting Petco's corporate office. Since it's a service animal, see if a disability rights group will help put pressure on Petco. If that does not work, your only option is to hire a lawyer--but you'll have to see if the dollar amount is worth it.

    We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute... more
  2. Michelle L. Radloff

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should contact your local police department and make sure you have all documentation with you, including the fact that it is a service dog and any vet bills. You can file in small claims court for your expenses, suing Petco and the unknown party. You can request that the judge issue a subpoena to Petco to get the person's information. You should also consult a service dog/animal law expert to ascertain the true damages. One concern I have is that service dogs are generally trained NOT to approach other people or animals while working.

    Michelle L Radloff 248-767-0239. The advice provided here is provided under the limitations of Avvo's terms of... more
  3. Tatiana Kadetskaya

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hire an attorney who can subpoena the god owner's records from the store and sue the owner.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,757 answers this week

3,104 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,757 answers this week

3,104 attorneys answering