A person threatened in writing to use govt agencies to investigate me and smear my reputation- can I sue for Black mail ?

Anaheim, CA |

This person gave those threats in writing to force an unjust settlement. I have nothing to hide. Now they threaten to sue for fraud 10 years after any business dealings. Can I file a black mail lawsuit to counter their frivolous fraud lawsuit?

The question lacks too many facts to properly evaluate. Use Avvo's "find a lawyer" tool to find a lawyer in your city, and call for a free consultation.

Maybe. Consult with a local lawyer for a thorough review.

Some states have claims for abuse of process and other possible claims that may provide remedies in your case, depending upon the facts and circumstances. A local lawyer can help.

Extortion is defined as threatening to file criminal or administrative complaints in an attempt to settle a civil dispute, so you may have something here. One thing that you do not make clear is when these threats were made - you may have a statute of limitations problem.
I recommend that you consult with an attorney as soon as possible to learn about your rights.

Nothing contained in this communication is intended to be, or shall be deemed as, legal advice, counsel, or services to on or behalf of any person or any entity. Usage of the Avvo website is not intended to and shall not create any obligation or relationship between the user and the Law Office of Herb Fox, including but not limited to, an attorney-client relationship. Further, the communications on this website between you and the Law Office of Herb Fox may not be privileged or confidential. Finally, your situation may be governed by deadlines that may or may not have already lapsed, and you may lose your rights if you do or did not act within those deadlines.