A person threatened in writing to use govt agencies to investigate me and smear my reputation- can I sue for Black mail ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Anaheim, CA

This person gave those threats in writing to force an unjust settlement. I have nothing to hide. Now they threaten to sue for fraud 10 years after any business dealings. Can I file a black mail lawsuit to counter their frivolous fraud lawsuit?

Pro

4

Answered . The question lacks too many facts to properly evaluate. Use Avvo's "find a lawyer" tool to find a lawyer in your city, and call for a free consultation.

2. Herb Fox

1

Answered . Extortion is defined as threatening to file criminal or administrative complaints in an attempt to settle a civil dispute, so you may have something here. One thing that you do not make clear is when these threats were made - you may have a statute of limitations problem.
    I recommend that you consult with an attorney as soon as possible to learn about your rights.

3. Jason Todd Studinski

Answered . Maybe. Consult with a local lawyer for a thorough review.

Some states have claims for abuse of process and other possible claims that may provide remedies in your case, depending upon the facts and circumstances. A local lawyer can help.