A person recieved a check for about $15,000 and did not turn it in on taxes, social services, and rent assistance. What happens?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lamar, CO

It was a social security check. This person gets aide from the government. Like Tanf, food stamps, and now is going to court to try to get child support.

1. Mikel Edward Lupisella

2

Answered . Was it backpay owed to them after being approved for disability? If it was a social security disability check, in Michigan you are required to alert your case worker through the State if you are approved for social security disability so they can re-calculate what, if any, State benefits you are still entitled to. Also, in Michigan, some people sign a reimbursement agreement where they are required to pay the State back some of the benefits they received if it overlaps with their receipt of social security disability.
    However, the question is quite vague and needs more substance to be answered in a way that may, or may not, be helpful to the person asking.

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Answered . I am not sure what you mean by what happens? Is the $15,000 from social security considered to be income. Most likely if it was a standard social security check and not a social security disability payment. So, it is includable as income in determining child support for purposes of your court hearing. However, if that is all that the person received, it will be close to the calculation of income for minimum wage that you would attribute to that person.

3. Vance Tate Davis

1

Answered . This question is far from clear. Since you are specifically concerned about this person trying to get child support I would assume that you are raising this because you are the opposing party. In that event, I don't see how this really helps you because your obligation would be based off of your income, not the other person's income. Perhaps you are thinking that if the other person lost TANF, food stamps, etc that the child support case would go away, I don't think that is likely at all. Again, please repost with a clear question if you really want to get help here on Avvo.