A person recieved a check for about $15,000 and did not turn it in on taxes, social services, and rent assistance. What happens?

Lamar, CO |
Filed under: Employment

It was a social security check. This person gets aide from the government. Like Tanf, food stamps, and now is going to court to try to get child support.

1. I am not sure what you mean by what happens? Is the $15,000 from social security considered to be income. Most likely if it was a standard social security check and not a social security disability payment. So, it is includable as income in determining child support for purposes of your court hearing. However, if that is all that the person received, it will be close to the calculation of income for minimum wage that you would attribute to that person.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

2. Was it backpay owed to them after being approved for disability? If it was a social security disability check, in Michigan you are required to alert your case worker through the State if you are approved for social security disability so they can re-calculate what, if any, State benefits you are still entitled to. Also, in Michigan, some people sign a reimbursement agreement where they are required to pay the State back some of the benefits they received if it overlaps with their receipt of social security disability.
    However, the question is quite vague and needs more substance to be answered in a way that may, or may not, be helpful to the person asking.

3. This question is far from clear. Since you are specifically concerned about this person trying to get child support I would assume that you are raising this because you are the opposing party. In that event, I don't see how this really helps you because your obligation would be based off of your income, not the other person's income. Perhaps you are thinking that if the other person lost TANF, food stamps, etc that the child support case would go away, I don't think that is likely at all. Again, please repost with a clear question if you really want to get help here on Avvo.

It is impossible to give specific answers to questions without meeting and fully discussing all of the potential issues that may not be addressed by your question. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information and are not legal advice. Only after a thorough personal consultation could specific legal advice be given. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. To enter such a relationship you and I would need to consult in person and form a mutually agreeable written contract of engagement. The answer(s) provided in this forum is intended to educate you and point to issues for you to raise in a consultation with a lawyer of your choosing who is appropriately competent in the field of law that your question concerns and who is duly licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where you live and/or where the events giving rise to your question occurred. You should not take any action that might affect your claim(s) without first seeking the professional opinion of a licensed attorney. There are often strict deadlines for filing suit, responding to a suit or making an appeal and you need to personally consult with an attorney to make sure that you understand and meet those deadlines.