Skip to main content

A nursing student was given a clinical failure after expressing dissatisfaction with her clinical training on the last

New Haven, CT |
Filed under: Education law

day of class. Can the student have legal representation present during the grievance process?

I had no previous clinical warnings, was an A & B student and feel the instructor is retaliating. I would like my tuition refunded, the failure removed from my transcript, and the opportunity to withdraw from the program. Can I record my upcoming grievance meeting with the dean?

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Your school has an appeals process that covers your situation and you are required to utilize and complete that process before you have any rights to bring any legal action. Some school admin processes allow the student to use legal counsel in the meetings and hearings for the administrative appeal, but most don't. Some allow audio recording, but most don't. You do not have statutory or constitutional rights to deviate from or decline to participate in the admin process. Talk with a local administrative law attorney for further specific info.

    Further info here:

    No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Education law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics