A Notary Public isn't certain how to fix a mistake made during the stamping process on a document.

Asked over 1 year ago - Lompoc, CA

The Notary Public whose ink bled through my document doesn't know what measures to take in amending her mistake, so she allocated my document forwarding it to another notary who may be more skilled in addressing ink bled mistakes.

The original notary was informed all she had to do was attach an All Purpose Acknowledgement and apply her seal on this attachment. The notary question the time lapse between the notarized document in which was a quit claim deed notarized two years ago. She is under the impression that quit claim deed reached its expiration at the time her seal expired in 2011.

I stated I would call-California Secretary of State, Debra Bowen, Notary Public Department, to help with this matter. The notary replied this action was not necessary.

What should I do?

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

2

Answered . Based upon the complicated set of facts revealed in your prior post, you really need to see a California probate attorney. Your situation is way beyond the issue of just recording a Quitclaim Deed.

2. Rani Kay Sampson

3

Answered . The quit claim deed did not expire because the notary's seal (commission) expired years after she stamped your document. Notaries must renew their commissions every few years, depending on the state. Think about it: if you bought a house in 1998, would your deed be invalid in 2012 because the notary's stamp expired in 1999?

I agree with Mr. Chen. A notary public is not qualified to determine the legal significance of a bleed-through onto another document. Spend a few minutes with an attorney who does a lot of real estate or probate work. You may be relieved to learn that you don't have a problem with your document. Or, if your document is defective, the lawyer can advise you what to do about it.

3. Steven J. Fromm

1

Answered . As both attorneys stated this is a legal problem. Get with a good real estate lawyer to look over the document and do what is required to rectify this situation.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website for more tax, estate and business articles is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is