Skip to main content

A Notary Public isn't certain how to fix a mistake made during the stamping process on a document.

Lompoc, CA |

The Notary Public whose ink bled through my document doesn't know what measures to take in amending her mistake, so she allocated my document forwarding it to another notary who may be more skilled in addressing ink bled mistakes.

The original notary was informed all she had to do was attach an All Purpose Acknowledgement and apply her seal on this attachment. The notary question the time lapse between the notarized document in which was a quit claim deed notarized two years ago. She is under the impression that quit claim deed reached its expiration at the time her seal expired in 2011.

I stated I would call-California Secretary of State, Debra Bowen, Notary Public Department, to help with this matter. The notary replied this action was not necessary.

What should I do?

Attorney Answers 3


Based upon the complicated set of facts revealed in your prior post, you really need to see a California probate attorney. Your situation is way beyond the issue of just recording a Quitclaim Deed.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


The quit claim deed did not expire because the notary's seal (commission) expired years after she stamped your document. Notaries must renew their commissions every few years, depending on the state. Think about it: if you bought a house in 1998, would your deed be invalid in 2012 because the notary's stamp expired in 1999?

I agree with Mr. Chen. A notary public is not qualified to determine the legal significance of a bleed-through onto another document. Spend a few minutes with an attorney who does a lot of real estate or probate work. You may be relieved to learn that you don't have a problem with your document. Or, if your document is defective, the lawyer can advise you what to do about it.

Rani K. Sampson is a Washington lawyer. All answers are based on Washington law. All answers are for educational purposes and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


As both attorneys stated this is a legal problem. Get with a good real estate lawyer to look over the document and do what is required to rectify this situation.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website for more tax, estate and business articles is and his blog is

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website is and his blog is <> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics