A neighbor opened my front door, and entered my house uninvited, am i liable for the dog bite?

Youngstown, OH |

this was a neighbor child, 8 yrs. old. She simply opened my front door and walked into my living room. My dog was eating in the kitchen..he was just protecting me.

1. If an intruder entered your home, you are not responsible for the dog bite done protecting you from danger

2. I would hope that a child that is injured gets fairly compensated. Am I mistaken, but shouldn't everyone feel this way. Report the incident to your insurance company asap.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

3. Was the child injured from the bite (punctured skin) or were just marks left? Hopefully the child is okay and there will not be a need for medical care. I'm curious why the neighbor's child felt it was alright to enter your home uninvited. Is this a family you are close with?

Best suggestion is to report this incident to your insurance carrier and cooperate with them.

If this Answer was of assistance please mark it as "helpful." Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.

4. The owner, keeper or harborer or a dog is liable for harm caused by the dog. However, trespassing is a defense to Ohio's strict liability dog bite statute. You should report the incident to your homeowner's insurance. The question will be whether the child was a trespasser. Hopefully the injuries aren't too serious.

I am a personal injury lawyer located in Dayton, Ohio. I am an experienced trial lawyer who represents injury victims against the insurance companies. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. I am not providing any legal advice. I am only licensed in the State of Ohio. You should contact an attorney for legal advice.

5. You should advise your home owners insurance and let them handle the matter for you.