A neighbor opened my front door, and entered my house uninvited, am i liable for the dog bite?

Asked 4 months ago - Youngstown, OH

this was a neighbor child, 8 yrs. old. She simply opened my front door and walked into my living room. My dog was eating in the kitchen..he was just protecting me.

1. Kevin William Attkisson

3

Answered . The owner, keeper or harborer or a dog is liable for harm caused by the dog. However, trespassing is a defense to Ohio's strict liability dog bite statute. You should report the incident to your homeowner's insurance. The question will be whether the child was a trespasser. Hopefully the injuries aren't too serious.

2. Thomas Austin Thompson

Pro

2

Answered . You should advise your home owners insurance and let them handle the matter for you.

3. Jeffrey Mark Adams

1

Answered . I would hope that a child that is injured gets fairly compensated. Am I mistaken, but shouldn't everyone feel this way. Report the incident to your insurance company asap.

4. Brian Curtis Pascale

Pro

1

Answered . Was the child injured from the bite (punctured skin) or were just marks left? Hopefully the child is okay and there will not be a need for medical care. I'm curious why the neighbor's child felt it was alright to enter your home uninvited. Is this a family you are close with?

Best suggestion is to report this incident to your insurance carrier and cooperate with them.

5. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . If an intruder entered your home, you are not responsible for the dog bite done protecting you from danger