A national fast food chain franchisee is adding hidden charges to purchases after 1:00 AM without telling consumers - legal?

Milwaukee, WI |

After 1:00 AM, a national fast food chain franchisee that is open 24 hours is adding a hidden 10 cents per item charge without telling consumers - is this legal in the state of Wisconsin?

The menu board states one price, but you are charged 10 cents more per item after 1:00 AM.

I questioned the drive-thru employee and he confirmed the fact.

There is no notification to the consumer - other than the 10 cents per each item (if it was 1.89 on the menu board your receipt says 1.99 after 1:00 AM) added to your total bill on the receipt - which you get after you already paid.

1. Wow. That sounds like a violation of the Consumer Legal Remedies Act here in California.

I have added this link to a checklist of possible federal consumer laws that may be violated.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/legal_guides/m-1.shtml

David Mallen

David A. Mallen offers answers on Avvo for general information only. This offer of free, general answers is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. If you need specific advice regarding your legal question, you should consult an attorney confidentially. Many experienced California labor and employment attorneys, including David A. Mallen offer no-risk legal consultations to employers and employees at no charge. David A. Mallen is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, as well as the California Labor Commissioner and the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Failure to take legal action within the time periods prescribed by law could result in the loss of important legal rights and remedies.