A mortgage mod. is a re instatement of a mortgage the same thing as a mortgage mod?

Stony Point, NY |

I have paid someone to do a modification for my mortgage, he is not a lawyer nor a mortgage broker. He has told me that he made a "deal" with the bank. That I had to pay the bank $2,500 by 3/31 (which I did) and then another 10g in 45 days. The mortgage would be re instated with 55 thousand taken off the mortgage and the arrears put on the back end of the mortgage. Is that a mod??
PS my monthly mortgage payment will stay the same, which I was hoping to change!!!!

1. That is not a modification but a reinstatement. Do not accept that deal as it could jeopardize your chances to obtain a permanent modification which will lower your payment. It is illegal for a non lawyer to charge you anything upfront for a modification and what he has one is not a modification. You should retain a firm that handles foreclosure defense and has experience doing modifications it is a complex practice.

2. What you describe is a modification since it changes the terms of the loan. A reinstatement is when you pay off the arrears and pick up the loan where you left off with the same terms as the original loan.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

3. Please retain a lawyer that handles modifications and foreclosure defense. I would not advise giving this individual any more money until the file is reviewed by an attorney.