A maritime question: Does a boat bought by a Canadian in the US need to be out of US waters for a time period to avoid marine...

San Diego, CA |
Filed under: Maritime law

I am Canadian. I bought a powerboat in FL and would like to cruise it back to Victoria BC Canada. I had 90 days to get the boat out of FL and change the reginstration to Canadian in order to avoid a sales tax there. Then I called San Diego customs to understand how I could get a cruising permit in order to spend some time cruising in California before going up to coast to Canada. I was told the boat has to be out of US waters at least 6 months before I can get a cruising permit as a Canadian and if not, I could be charged sales tax in California. Is that true? Feedback from any marine lawyers appreciated.

It appears that this question was also posted and received answers here: http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/california-sales-tax-1099024.html?ref=answer_question_serp_title_2

Matthew Blair
www.chakmakislaw.com

Maritime law topics

Recommended articles about Maritime law