Skip to main content

A man is on-line telling people that I posess and distribute child porn, can I get him stopped legally?

Tillamook, OR |

I am in yahoo groups and I know it`s silly but I have one man claiming that I raped my own children with a broomstick until they bled. Now today he is saying that I posses and own child pornography, he tells them he believes it but doesn`t know for sure it`s true.
I am disgusted he can just say these things unchecked. Do I have any legal recourse?

Attorney Answers 3


Yes, you can take action, and it's not silly. This is potentially extremely damaging, and I would suggest that you take immediate legal action through counsel. Your lawyer should not only report him to the police for harassment, but also send a "cease and desist" letter to him, warning him that he is risking legal action, such as defamation per se. Also make sure that you print out every comment he makes -- once he gets wind of criminal or civil liability, he may hide the evidence. I wouldn't let this situation sit around; these allegations could ruin your life.

If you think this post was a good answer, please click the “good answer” button below and/or designate my answer as the best answer. Thanks. Nothing herein should be deemed legal advice of any kind, create a lawyer-client relationship, or generate any confidential information. Individuals working from a public computer, including those provided in the workplace, should be aware that their information may not be confidential.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree


You really do need an attorney in this situation as you may have to work through the internet service provider and yahoo to locate the individual if he is not posting with his actual identity. Think about what would happen if a future employer did an internet search of your name - would you hire somebody being accused online of such horrific crimes?

Get an attorney!

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You absolutely have legal recourse. You can not only sue this person for money, you can ask the court to order him to stop or go to jail. Additionally, you may be able to get a court order forcing Yahoo to delete the posts that contain this libel.

Don't wait to get an attorney for something this serious!

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics