A law firm is repeatedly sued for violating state & constitutional rights and lose, will Bar or Attorney General investigate?

Pittsburgh, PA |
Filed under: Professional ethics

Is this something that is automatic or does a Judge have to submit a recommendation to the Bar Association or Attorney General to investigate and will the Judge's recommendation be executed?

Typically complaints about violation of ethical rules of conduct and attorney discipline are made by clients and investigated by the State Bar or Court administrators and proceed to hearings if the investigations determine that there is reasonable cause to believe rules have been violated.

In the situation you are referring to, which isn't entirely clear, it sounds like a "law firm" is "repeatedly sued for (somehow) violating state and constitutional rights (presumably on behalf of a client, law firms not being themselves plaintiffs or petitioners, perhaps, unless they are suing a client for fees).

Perhaps you are saying that this law firm brings "frivolous" actions on behalf of clients, actions without merit to harass and annoy, repeatedly and loses, like SLAPP suits (e.g., lawsuits intended to silence critics exercising their free speech rights in public forums). In that instance, the Courts usually impose sanctions or penalties, including orders not to file further suits of that nature or award damages or attorneys fees to the prevailing parties.

However, the situation posited in your question that there is something "automatic" in this situation that the State Bar will consider this an ethical violation or will investigate this on its own motion without a complaint from a client or court is unlikely. That's usually not the remedy; the Courts usually do one of the other things like sanctions outlined above rather than complain to the state bar.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

2. Because the brief facts set forth in your post are confusing, I can't help but wonder if you are working with info from some sort of index in which the law firm is repeatedly named because it is counsel in a great many cases.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

3. Automatic? No.

Are you maybe confusing the difference between a firm that is repeatedly sued with a firm that repeatedly represents clients in constitutional cases?

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Professional ethics topics