Skip to main content

A judgement was filed against me , can the company garnish my wages if i receive foodstamps in wisconsin

Milwaukee, WI |

can a company garnish my wages if i receive foodstamps in wisconsin

Attorney Answers 3

  1. A cursory search shows that Wisconsin allows up to 20% of your net income to be garnished. Whether you receive food stamps or not has no bearing, only how much money you make. Hopefully, the Wisconsin lawyers can confirm this and discuss how much else you might be able to exempt.

    [This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

  2. Wisconsin Wage Garnishment

    Wage garnishment actions are considered separate actions under Wisconsin Statute, requiring the payment of a filing fee and issuance of the earnings garnishment notice to the employer and employee, which can be accomplished by first class mail.

    Upon issuance of the earnings garnishment, the garnishment will remain in effect for a period of 13 weeks. At the end of this time period, a new garnishment action must be commenced, unless the previous garnishment was voluntarily extended.

    Typically, 20% of a debtor's net earnings after withholding taxes and Social Security can be taken by a creditor. A debtor does have the right to assert various exemptions to the garnishment, including income below the Federal Poverty Guidelines, eligibility to receive foods stamps or medical assistance, or court-ordered assignments of child support that exceed 25% of the debtor's wages.

  3. You might want to take some time an research bankruptcy as an option as it sounds like you are suffering some tough times. Bankruptcy would eliminate the judgment and any other credit issues you might be having.

    For more information, visit or checkout my legal guides regarding this topic posted on my AVVO profile.

    Legal Information is Not Legal Advice
    My answer provides information about the law based on the limited information provided in the questions asked and is not intended to be legal advice. The law differs in each jurisdiction and may be interpreted or applied differently depending on the location or situation. I highly recommend that you consult with an attorney to discuss the specific details of your situation so you can get legal advice tailored to your specific circumstances. The information in my answer is for educational and information purposes only, and is not legal advice or legal opinions. The answer provided to the question asked does not constitute a lawyer-client relationship.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics