A judge will sign off on my expunged record on Thursday . How long should I wait to start applying for jobs ?

Houston, TX |

mids . for poss of marijuana

There is no easy answer to your question. When a person seeks expunction of a criminal record, the goal is to delete the target case from his or her record. Traces of the target case may remain for quite some time in commercial data bases while those are updated. Additionally, the expunction court does not have any legal authority of commercial data bases that operate in foreign countries.

So, again, there is no easy answer and no way to guarantee when or if the target case will be completely gone from all records both governmental and commercial.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

All traces of the case should be removed from the government databases within 45 days.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.