Skip to main content

A heterosexual couple who are in a civil union in Illinois want to get married.

Worth, IL |

I'm female and my boyfriend and I filed for a civil union in Illinois and now we want to get married to each other. Do we have to get the Civil Union dissolved before we can apply for a marriage license in Illinois?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. without doing a bunch of legal research, i think not. you could go get a marriage license, get married. that should dissolve the civil union as the marriage is of greater status than the civil union.

    i doubt that there is any law on this. the civil union statute says nothing about this.

    the marriage act says a prohibited marriage is one in which either party is married to someone else and that marriage is not dissolved. a civil union is not a marriage.

    based on a quick reading of the statutes, i say go for it.

  2. No., Get married. Congratulations.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics