A guy ran a red light & t-boned the vehicle I was driving. I'm not licensed. Is the other driver responsible for caused damages?

Asked 10 months ago - Louisville, KY

The vehicle I was driving was not mine. It belonged to my gf. She is insured but was not in the car, nor was she aware that I am unlicensed.

Will the other drivers insurance pay to fix her car and pay for my ER visit and my injuries?

Despite my lack of a drivers license the accident occurred because of the driver who ran the red light.

Would it be best to hire an accident attorney?

Does it help that their is an eye witness at the scene who can attest that the driver ran a red light???

1. Bradley D. Harville

9

Answered . Hi, I'll take these one by one.

Being unlicensed is not relevant in Ky. as to who is at fault for an accident. You had permission to drive so I don't see a problem there.

The only way the other driver's insurance will pay to fix the car will be if it accepts liability. Before it will do that it will have to investigate the accident. In a who-ran-the-red-light case I wouldn't hold my breath. If they don't accept liability then your girlfriend will need to turn it into her own insurance company if she has collision coverage. If she doesn't then she's got nowhere to turn and will have to file suit against the other driver for the damage to her car.

Your girlfriend's insurance is responsible for paying for your ER visit and medical bills under her "no-fault" coverage. You need to contact that insurance company for a "PIP" application.

Yes, it helps that an eyewitness at the scene will testify that the other driver ran the red light. That witness is absolutely critical. If you can, get something from him or her in their own handwriting and guard it with your life.

Yes, it would be best if you hired an accident attorney who will help you greatly with all of these issues. Good luck!

2. Philip Anthony Fabiano

10

Answered . Yes. You should hire an attorney immediately. The fact that you are unlicensed does not preclude you from filing a lawsuit. Your girlfriend should report the collision to her insurance carrier.

3. John M O'Brien

Pro

9

1

Answered . A local personal injury attorney will definitely help you, also the eye witness is crucial. Good luck.

4. Michael K McKell

9

Answered . Yes absolutely. Contact a local personal injury lawyer for help. Good luck!

5. Joseph John Bernardo

Pro

8

Answered . Yes, yes, and yes. Good questions, and simple answers!

6. Max Jeffrey Meyers

6

Answered . Sorry to hear you were hurt. Generally you may be able to recover for your car damage and injuries even though you did not have a license, at that's how it is here in Washington state. This is also common is motorcycle accidents when a rider does not have an endorsement.

The reason is that as long as the negligence of some else caused the accident then you shouldn't suffer on a technicality like no driver's license. However, some states have rules that say if your at fault in anyway then you can't recover damages. So because of this you definitely need to talk to an experenced Kentucky car accideent lawyer asap. You need to find what specific rights you have in this situation.

Attorney Mike Schaffer has a free book that might help you. You can order it here: http://www.mikeschaferlaw.com/reports/the-seven...

Best of luck,

Max Meyers

Pro

4

Answered . Yes, get a Louisville personal injury lawyer to handle it. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to find a top-rated attorney with a low contingency fee.