A friend won cancelation of removal on 11/5/13 for 2 crimes of moral turpitude. He faces dui charge on 12/13 first 1in 10 years

Arlington, VA |

He will be facing possible 10 days in jail, served 7 already but the concern is can he face new deportatio charges on this one dui? His immigration atty says he will be fine no new deportation charges because he won cancelation of removal for 2 crimes of moral turpitude, hes a green card holder since year 2000, so it seems the 2 crimes are behind him and he starts fresh anew that he will be able to travel out of the country again with no problems and the jail sentance of 10 days will not trigger immigration to pick him up again is this correct? he won cancellation of removal in arlington virginia on 11/5/13 and now has his new green card and passport back again

A DUI by itself does not result in removal or inadmissibility. The other two crimes cannot be the basis of new immigration court proceedings. Your friend needs to cool it though. An LPR is only eligible for cancellation of removal ONCE, so if he keeps getting in trouble, he'll get deported.

Thank you Jay for your answer, I have warned him of this and have advised him one more crime and he is out, thank you Jay. Hopefully he has learned from his lessons.

So Jay since he won the cancellation of removal for last 2 crimes of moral turpitiute that is washed away right, and he starts anew with the dui conviction going forward with one crime but he if does anything else even get a ticket or anything wrong I think that will be it. But if he travels out of the country he should always bring his order from the judge to show he won cancelation of removal? so 2 questions thanks...

Attorney Nunez is 100% correct. While his conduct up to this point will not result in his removal, it is time for him to take stock of his actions and exercise some self control. Much is at stake.

I totally agree with you Mr. Simser and Mr. Nunez thank you very kindly to you both. I hope he changes for good and uses this miracle GOD has given him.

I agree, but I suggest the friend talk to an immigration attorney.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.