A friend's attorney said he wanted to talk about my friend's issues, but when we met there hardly was any discussion. Why?

Davis, CA |

My friend was in the midst of getting her trustee removed after she accused the trustee of having assaulted her. Since I am a close friend and some info about me probably went around with other individuals involved in the case, by chance occurrence I briefly spoke with the attorney over the telephone and said he wanted to meet me in person.

But when we met, he only asked me a couple cursory questions and went no further. I thought he would have wanted a history of the friendship, to know something about me, if I knew any of the events regarding the reported assault but none of those questions were asked. Much of the meeting centered with my friend who has dementia and who told the attorney as best she could that she did not trust her then trustee. The meeting was unproductive.

Any answer to this question would be pure speculation.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

It's possible the attorney needed very specific information from you and either obtained it or was otherwise of the opinion that the meeting was unnecessary or unproductive. In addition, the attorney may have been concerned about going too far into the case with you, in an effort to protect his client's confidentiality and attorney-client privilege. These are just ideas.

This response is not intended, nor should it be construed as legal advice. Any information provided is for educational purposes only. To schedule an appointment for an attorney-client privileged consultation, contact me at 530-231-4949 or visit our website at www.lowenthallawoffice.com. The exchange of communications through Avvo.com and similar social media does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or my office. Thank you.

No one on AVVO could possibly answer this question.