A friend rented appliances from Aaron's and does not need them, has 2. What happens if he does not pay and gives them back?

Gaffney, SC |

Aaron's requires a six month lease. He has not used these, as his ex left hers there. Still NEW, but Aaron's said he HAS to keep them...as he signed a lease. What repercussions from breaking their lease?

1. The rental agency COULD sue for breach of contract and recover the fees they would have received had the contact been executed properly.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I give a 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

2. The lease itself will usually specify what might happen if a person breaks the lease. Expect the lease agreement to work against the lessor and provide steep penalties for the lessor who breaks the lease. It might be possible to negotiate something with Aarons but, if not, one might try to sell the extra (non-leased) appliances and use the money towards the leased appliances -- perhaps even to purchase the leased appliances. Good luck!

The material on the site is made available with the understanding that this author is not engaged in providing professional legal advice. Before relying on material on the site users should obtain appropriate professional legal advice. The material on this site may include opinions, recommendations or other content from third parties that do not necessarily reflect this author's views. Links to other Web sites are included for the user's convenience and do not constitute this author's endorsement of the material on those sites, or any associated product or service. The listing of a person or company in any part of this site in no way implies any form of endorsement by this author of products or services provided by that person or company. The questioner is advised to consult an attorney for legal advice as to that person's particular situation.