Skip to main content

A friend of mine was in a car accident last month May 2014. She suffered injury to her temporal lobe.

Bryan, TX |

The man that hit her has auto insurance- they claim they can't pay for her medical bills... the family is at a loss. The medical bills are high and she will no longer be a fully functional person again. Can't speak, can't walk, has a feeding tube and will need 24 hr care. what can be done ???

Attorney Answers 11

  1. Sorry to hear what happened to your friend.

    Her family needs to talk with a personal injury attorney ASAP, and stop talking with the insurance company.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

  2. She needs to engage a personal injury attorney immediately.

  3. Terribly sorry to hear this. With life-changing injuries such as these every possible source of recovery needs to be explored, including by way of example a products liability case if there is a crashworthiness issue with the vehicle involved. Sometimes it is a margin call whether engaging an attorney is a good idea: this is DEFINITELY NOT one of those times. Your friend's family or whoever is making decisions for her needs to speak to an experienced attorney soon.

    Disclaimer: answers posted by attorney Daragh Carter to questions posted on AVVO are NOT privileged or confidential and will not and should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship between attorney Daragh Carter and you or anyone else.

  4. She (or her next of kin) needs to call a personal injury attorney ASAP! She needs a lawyer that can handle this claim and get her the most she is entitled to.

    All responses on this site by this attorney are considered practical & general and does not constitute absolute or final legal advice. It is always best to consult a lawyer in your area on your exact case/claim. Each state has different laws, statutes of limitations and regulations. This lawyer is only licensed in the State of Texas. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of GREGG S. HARRISON, PLLC, nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Office of GREGG S. HARRISON PLLC. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. GREGG HARRISON. Visit our website at or call 832-797-7600 to discuss your legal issue; We represent injured persons who have been involved in motor vehicle collisions, 18-wheeler/truck wrecks and motorcycle accidents; all types of general negligence and catastrophic injury claims.

  5. As indicated by the others, her family should immediately consult with an experienced TX personal injury attorney. There may be a lot more that can be done for her than first appears. An experienced attorney knows all of the options to investigate.

    In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.

  6. They need to talk to a lawyer who is board certified in personal injury trial law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. The lawyer can go over the options and take the next steps. They should not talk to the other side until they talk to a .lawyer. As for medical, they should have health insurance and that will cover the medical expenses.

    This is not legal advice. You should always discuss the specifics of your issue in person with an attorney. Be aware that there are time limits on all claims that depend on the kind of claim, so do not delay in seeking an attorney.

  7. As many of the car accident lawyers have already explained, her family really should hire an experienced car accident lawyer to represent her rights and advocate for a fair settlement.

  8. The family needs to see a personal injury attorney right away here in Texas. No matter how grave or how serious the accident, the insurance company likes to do 2 things: 1) delay, and 2) deny. Help them find an attorney who is well versed in Texas civil procedure. In Texas, we are all required to carry insurance with minimum policy limits of $30,000 per injury and $60,000 per accident. Hiring an attorney not only will help the family recover a settlement, but the attorney should also be able to assist them in significantly reducing any outstanding medical bills or hospital liens. Please express my sincere apologies to the family and thank you for being proactive in helping them find legal representation. Best of luck.

  9. I am very sorry to hear of your friend's injury. I have been a personal injury attorney for about 30 years now and have to say I see this type of situation ( bad damages and limited insurance) frequently.
    I would suggest the family preserves the wrecked vehicle and speak with an attorney who handles product liability claims asap.
    The family will also want to look in to what governmental benefits may be available to help.

    This answer is intended to be general in nature and not specific as to any person or fact situation. No attorney-client relationship exists for those reading this answer and readers should contact an attorney of their choosing for legal advice on their specific situation.

  10. Her family should speak to an attorney as soon as possible. Unfortunately she can only expect stonewalling from the responsible party and their insurance company. Her family should also speak to an attorney about the possibility of filing a Social Security disability claim.

    The Law Office of Steven Costello, PLLC and its attorneys may be retained only on the basis of a written contract, signed bythe attorney and the potential client, together with the payment of fees and costs as provided within the contract, when applicable. Accordingly, no representation shall commence, nor shall the attorney-client relationship exist with this office or attorneys absent execution of a written contract between the attorney and the potential client, together with prepayment of any costs and fees as may be required by said contract.

  11. I am sorry for your friend. What a tragedy. As others have suggested, you need to consult with an attorney who is board certified in personal injury trial law by the Texas board of legal specialization. The injuries, harms and losses sustained by your friend are life changing. The challenge will be finding enough insurance coverage from the at fault third party and any underinsurance that may be available to adequately compensate your friend. Geographic location of the Texas attorney should not be a consideration because of the magnitude of the injuries, harms and losses in this case. Good luck

    By providing this legal analysis of the issue presented, no attorney/client relationship is being formed. Additionally, attorney is not agreeing to represent the individual who presented the question concerning the legal issue. A signed retainer agreement is required before an attorney /client relationship is established. The analysis provided is meant solely to provide general guidance about the legal issue presented.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics