A friend of mine is due in a month. She is giving the child to us once the child is born. Can I complete the adoption on my own?

Asked over 1 year ago - North Fort Myers, FL

I can not afford an attorney and was wondering if it was legal for me to complete the adoption on my own? Mom and I have discussed everything regarding the adoption and mom agrees. The only thing left would be the paperwork. Any suggestions would help. Thank you.

1. Paul Joseph Consbruck

7

Answered . The Florida Adoption Act requires that you use a Florida licensed professional (attorney or agency) to adopt a child. There are many legal issues (e.g., you did not mention the biological father who has rights, and you need to have an approved home study, with background checks) to address. We can give you names of experience adoption professionals in your area if you contact us at www.adoptfla.com, or you may contact the Florida Bar for names of adoption attorneys at 1-800-342-8011. Best wishes.

2. Michael Alan Shorstein

Pro

6

Answered . No, you cannot complete the adoption on your own. A home study is required for adoptive parents who are not related to the person being adopted within the third degree of consanguinity. Home studies are performed by licensed social workers or child placing agencies. Additionally, because this does not qualify as a relative adoption, you must utilize an attorney or agency to handle the adoption. Once again, this is not the type of case that you are permitted to handle on your own. Depending upon your city of residence, we are familiar with many home study providers and attorneys that can assist you for a very reasonable fee. Feel free to email me directly at adoption@shorsteinkelly.com for additional information.

3. Earl Kenneth Mallory

Pro

6

Answered . An adoption MUST be handled by an intermediary, as defined by Florida law. This is not something that you can do on your own.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of the Mallory Law Group, pursuant to an executed employment agreement, you should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. Earl K. Mallory ekm@mallorylawgroup.com (561)743-3708.

4. William Charles Rosenfelt

Pro

6

Answered . No...you cannot do that.

5. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

4

Answered . Adoption is a very technical process and for something this important you do not want any mistakes. I would highly recommend you get in touch with an experienced adoption attorney in your area.