A friend is renting out rooms in his farm house. Now he has someone that hasn't signed a lease and can't get rid of him.

Corcoran, Minneapolis, MN |

Usually the renter fills out an app. and once it's accepted they sign a lease and pay rent. This person has lived there since June, has missed 4 months rent and when he posted notes to say you need to move the guy called the cops and the police say he has to file eviction proceedings. The man doesn't have a lease, isn't paying rent and barely filled out the application. My friend has filed a police report saying he needs to move because he is tresspassing and has stolen items from other tennants. Last week he even threatened on of the other renters daughters. What should he do? I say he should still file eviction proceedings even though there was no lease signed.

1. You are correct. You did not mention how it came to pass that this person was lodging at your friend's farm--but you mentioned that he has missed 4 months of rent payments--so the lodger apparently does have some agreement with your friend. That being the case, you are correct, your friend will have to use your state's eviction processes. Likely takes 3-5 weeks, sometimes longer and shouldn't require a lawyer--costs will be a bit under $100.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I give a 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

2. Your friend will have to go through the eviction process through the courts.