A friend gave me a hand written will dated and signed stating his car was to go to me when he leaves this world.

Asked 9 months ago - Redding, CA

A Will handwritten dated and signed by my friend to me, I have taken care and stored this car for over 25 years he paid me for storage for about 3 months in the late 1980's and nothing after that but I stored it for him all these years until he passed a week ago. I went to DMV and they transfered it to me using this handwritten will. So do I have to worry about anyone else taking it from me. It is a 1967 Shelby American GT-500 Cobra. His daughter wants it and said he gave it to her 2005 upon his death. His will to me was written July 2010, he hasn't seen his daughter in 4-5 years. I had to have a CHP come out and verify the car because it was so old there were no records of it at DMV. I could of filed a lien on it also for the passed 25 years of storage.
AM I RIGHT?

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . This is what is called a holographic will and is valid in CA and most states in the US. Visit with a probate attorney.

2. Christine James

Pro

5

1

Answered . You have to make a claim through probate and based upon the will. That is your best recourse. If you have possession of the vehicle via the storage, you can keep it until the outcome is determined.

3. Michael Robert Weinstein

Pro

5

1

Answered . A holographic will (handwritten,dated and signed by your friend) is valid in California. However, if the daughter comes forward with a later will voiding your will you may be out of luck. You would then have to make a claim against your friend's estate or his heirs for the car or its fair market value.if they reject your claim you would have to file a complaint in the court.

4. Lee Alan Thompson

3

Answered . Maybe, maybe not. Consult an estate attorney.