A friend asked to store items 14 yrs ago, asked several times to remove, but ignores deadlines .How do I legally remove property

Asked about 1 year ago - Howell, NJ

I gave him a 72 hour removal notice 3 days ago by text, as I do not have an address for him. The last 6 phones calls he has hung up on me. He insists that I email him.

1. Michael T Millar

Pro

2

Answered . A landlord's responsibility for abandoned property is set forth in N.J.S.A. 2A:18-72 through 2A:18-84. Basically, you must provide written notice that the property will be deemed abandoned and discarded after 30 days from the date of the notice. If the notice is sent by regular mail, you must wait 33 days before taking an action. Re-send the notice giving 30 days and notice that intend to dispose of the property after that time. I would attempt to locate home so that you send the notice by regular and certified mail / return receipt requested so that if he attempts to press charges against you or sue you in the future, you can show that you complied with the law.

2. Raymond Andrew Grimes

Pro

Answered . I agree with Mr. Millar!