A friend asked to store items 14 yrs ago, asked several times to remove, but ignores deadlines .How do I legally remove property

Howell, NJ |
Filed under: Landlord-tenant

I gave him a 72 hour removal notice 3 days ago by text, as I do not have an address for him. The last 6 phones calls he has hung up on me. He insists that I email him.

1. A landlord's responsibility for abandoned property is set forth in N.J.S.A. 2A:18-72 through 2A:18-84. Basically, you must provide written notice that the property will be deemed abandoned and discarded after 30 days from the date of the notice. If the notice is sent by regular mail, you must wait 33 days before taking an action. Re-send the notice giving 30 days and notice that intend to dispose of the property after that time. I would attempt to locate home so that you send the notice by regular and certified mail / return receipt requested so that if he attempts to press charges against you or sue you in the future, you can show that you complied with the law.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

2. I agree with Mr. Millar!

Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. There are always specific facts that are important for an attorney to review before providing advice to a Client. In no way should you rely on the response provided herein to conduct your legal affairs on your own. You should always hire an attorney before you rely on advice provided.

Landlord-tenant topics