A free lawyer to assist in a divorce with a children and divorce

Richmond, VA |

I have paperwork and my wife will not sign them.

If you are looking for pro bono representation in the Richmond area, here is a link to some resources that might be of help to you: http://www.richmondbar.org/pro_bono_resources.htm.

Deborah Ann Johnson Wilson

Deborah Ann Johnson Wilson

If your husband has a job, and income, you can ask the court for suit money to carry on the divorce. This is discretionary with the court but you can ask. It may provide a way for you to get some financial relief. You can also ask the court for temporary spousal and child support pending litigation.

Unless your case has a particular interest that addresses an interesting social topic or novel legal issue of interest to the attorney, you're probably not going to find an attorney to work for free anymore than any other person who needs to earn a living and/or support an office staff. This is particularly so if your divorce is contested with child custody and support issues. You are looking at a case that could drag on for a year or more.

You may talk to some an find if they offer payment plans. In the alternative, you could visit the local law library and research how to file the documents on your own.

Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

Anneshia Miller Grant
Garrett Law Group, PLC
http://vabeachdivorceattorney.net
anneshia@garrettlawgroup.com
(757) 422-0195 - 24 Hour Service

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

Deborah Ann Johnson Wilson

Deborah Ann Johnson Wilson

Contested cases involving custody, divorce, etc., are very time consuming. Unfortunately, this adds to the difficulty of finding a lawyer who is willing to assume responsibility for a case that is generating no revenue. Trying to work out a payment plan is your best option.

I wish there was a solution to your situation but it is difficult to find "free" lawyers. Although many people view attorneys as wealthy, this is not an accurate perception. Family lawyers in smaller firms must be paid to cover their expenses. Lawyers bill by the hour. If a lawyer is working for free this creates a lack of revenue to cover basic office expenses, such as rent, utilities, insurance, salaries, etc. Lawyers are not paid personally until business expenses are first met. Further, young lawyers--fresh out of law school- must add to the list student loans. While most lawyers I know are willing to assist in trying to make legal services available, few can actually afford to take on a case for free. Maybe, you can call around and see if you can find someone who is willing to consider helping out by setting up a payment plan. Best of luck~

This response is only intended for informational purposes and is not intended as legal advice or as a substitute for hiring an attorney in your state. Further, by sharing this information, it is in no way intended to establish an attorney client relationship with the reader.