A former roommate is accusing me of stealing a cooking pot that is mine, what courses of actions that could be taken against me

Asked 7 months ago - Tucson, AZ

Is the value of cooking pot so low that it would just get dismissed by a judge? Should I hire a lawyer.

1. Cary L Lackey

4

Answered . This is Arizona, and if the police submit the charge to a prosecuting agency, you are 99% guaranteed to wind up with what sounds like a misdemeanor Theft charge.

This isn't the Andy Griffith Show, there is NOT some good ol' Judge looking out for you; NO one in the system is, other than your attorney.

Have the police contacted you yet? If/when they do, do NOT speak to them about the case, but invoke your right to remain silent and your right to an attorney.

If the prosecutor is not seeking jail or probation, you will not receive a "free" public defender, and you'll be up against a skilled, law-trained prosecutor who is NOT on your side (and is seeking a conviction) in Court.

Do you need an attorney? YES. The sooner you retain one, the better.

2. Kaitlin Sofia Verdura

2

Answered . If your roommate contacts the police, you will likely be charged with theft. I suggest you consult an attorney as a precautionary measure. Good luck.

Verdura Law Group PLLC
    www.verduralaw.com
    602.421.0515

3. Michael Matthew Harrington

2

Answered . Sounds more like a civil case. Here in New England, many police departments don't get involved in these kinds of disputes. They recommend civil court or small claims court etc. Keep in mind that this is only my experience in a part of the country nowhere near Tucson, Arizona. It's no guarantee that a criminal complaint for theft won't issue against you.