A fire in my apartment was caused by a defective kitchen stove that the came with the apartment,

Asked about 1 year ago - Van Buren, AR

a fire in my apartment was caused by a defective kitchen stove that the came with the apartment, my renters insurance only cover about 1/3 of my lost,..."do i file a claim on the apartment insurance or do I file a claim in court against the stove manufacturer. My insurance company had an electrical engineer inspect the fire. he has stated that if was the stove that caused the fire. my insurance company is dealing with GE to collect the money I was paid, however my policy was a small one and did not cover everything I lost.

1. Jennifer Williams Flinn

3

Answered . The apartment complex's insurance policy isn't going to cover any of your losses. That will only cover the complex's losses. Filing a suit against the stove manufacturer will be expensive. Whether or not to pursue it will depend on the amount of your loss, but unless you were injured in the fire, I doubt the amount of your losses will be large enough to proceed. You'll pay more in litigation expenses and attorneys fees than you'll collect.

Pro

2

Answered . Defective product lawsuits are expensive, and you typically need significant damages, but try a local defective product lawyer to see if one will take the case.

3. David J. McCormick

1

Answered . It will be expensive to hire an expert to prove that not only was the stove defective, but that it was also the cause of the fire. The costs of the expert will probably outweigh any damages that you may have suffered, so it will be hard to find an attorney to take your case.