A few years before my retirement. My union informed us that our pension would not increase along with everyone elses

Chicago, IL |

We had to get a number of hours in an exact period to maintain our pension increases. They never actually alloweed the few affected to get these hours. Even though I had been vested in the pension for over 10 years. The union officials who masterminded this plan have since been removed from office by the feds, for stealing pension funds.

1. This is a an unfortunate situation, but what is your question?

2. I assume you want to know if you can do anything about this. This is a complicated area of law which is highly regulated by the Department of Labor. You may want to contact the DOL to see if it is aware of any related litigation that you might be able to join in. Otherwise, you will need to find an attorney who knows about union pension funds. You might try attorney Robin Potter in Chicago or David Lee in the Loop.

If they cannot help, you can find a plaintiffs employment attorney on the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) web site www.nela.org. NELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the country for attorneys representing working people. You can search by location and practice area. Also, NELA has affiliates in every state and many cities which are listed on the NELA site. Not all NELA attorneys are named on the web site or affiliate site. This should not influence your selection; attorneys can choose whether or not to purchase a listing in the national directory, and each affiliate has its own rules for listing.

I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best.

twitter.com/MikaSpencer *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and should not be considered legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts. No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, and can appear before administrative agencies throughout the country. She is eligible to represent clients in other states on a pro hac vice basis. ***

Construction law topics