Skip to main content

A few months ago i was in an accident but the damage was not severe so we decided not to exchange info.

Davenport, IA |

A few days ago i received a letter from the dot stating that they received a report for my motor vehicle accident and are asking for my insurance info. What should i do

We didnt even exchange names or plate numbers or anything. How could i even be obligated to give my insurance info now.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


It is almost always a risk not to report an accident. Apparently it was anyway. I suggest you call your insurance carrier and consider seeking the advice of a lawyer.

Any response given is not to be taken as legal advice or to create an attorney client relationship.


Always report; comply now, contact an attorney, inform your insurer.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


This is why it is always smart to have the police respond and prepare an official report, even in instances of minor fender benders. The other person probably copied down your plate, and car description and then made a report to the DOT. If the State agency asks you for the info, then you have to provide it. Also report the matter to your insurance company a.s.a.p.


I suggest you report your insurance information to the DOT. They will probably suspend your license if they think you do not have coverage.

The next time you are involved, even in a minor accident, contact the police and make a report and, additionally, call your carrier ASAP and report the incident. Failure to timely report an incident gives your carrier the opportunity to cry foul and that your delay in reporting the incident to them has prejudiced their ability to investigate the matter and ultimately defend you. In a serious accident, they will attempt to disclaim coverage for the lack of your cooperation.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Apparently, the other party reported the accident to the DOT and must have reported your license plate. Simply do as the DOT has requested, but do so immediately.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I have been licensed to practice law in California since 1978. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


Contact your insurance carrier and provide them with as many details as possible.


Always report every accident to the police and your insurance company, and always call a local car accident lawyer to discuss the facts and circumstances to protect your rights.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer