Skip to main content

A father who has full custody of his child now. And gets charged with rape. Can he keep the full custody?

Miami, FL |

CHarged with rape and drug possesion. Mother of the child files for a custody hearing to get full custody but he takes care of the child mainly.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. The circumstances that you describe are very serious and will be very concerning to the court. If the arrest and charge are brought to the attention of the family law judge by means of a petition for modification, the court is going to be concerned with the best interest and, frankly, safety of the child. It is essential that you consult with and, likely, retain an attorney to best preserve your rights in this matter.

    It is essential that you understand the difference of the standard of proof in criminal court and family law court. In the criminal court, the charges must be proved beyond a reasonable doubt. In family law court, it is only a preponderance of the evidence (more than 50%). This means that while someone may be found not guilty in the criminal court on a charge of rape or drug possession, they could still be found to have committed the act(s) in family law court and could, therefore, lose "custody" of the child.

    Eileen D. Jacobs, Esq.
    Office: 2505 W. Virginia Avenue
    Tampa, FL 33607
    (813) 877-9600
    Mailing: P.O. Box 14953
    Clearwater, Florida 33766-4953
    (727) 787-6595