A Dr. said I had a minor injury to my neck. He didn't take x-rays and told me that going to a chiro would make it worse.

Chicago, IL |

This was a job related injury that I also sustained a cracked rib from that he treated because I was having a hard time breathing. I later found out that the doctor is friends with the employer I had at the time. I just did some research online and found that my neck is probably broken. It said I need a cat scan and/or an MRI, both of which I just can go to another Dr. and ask for. It's no where in line with where it's suppose to be and it feels like the spinal chord is the only thing holding my neck in place. I have to be real careful how I do things because of how it feels at different angles. I'm scared that if I don't get it checked out something worse will happen.

First, go to the appropriate doctor or emergency room ASAP

Second, see a lawyer to review your options. If you we're hurt while working you have a workers comp case, in which you would be entitled to TRD, medical benefits, and permanency award. It you'll need a lawyer to sort it all out.

The most important thing is get treated now and determine what's wrong and what treatment is required.

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

The injury happened about two years ago. When I was in the office he felt around my neck and that's when he said that nothing could be done and avoid the chiro. With him being a doctor I believed him when he said there was nothing that could be done. It keeps getting worse over time and I can't pay the bills if he's not held liable. Is there some kind of time limit?

Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Stephen Laurence Hoffman

yes there is. I urge you to talk to a workers comp lawyer ASAP.

Get it checked out properly immediately and consult with a local workers' compensation attorney.

In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.

Agreed by all to get an examination by a qualified physician and document that the condition has bothered you since the date of injury.

If you have a broken neck, you should get it treated, and retain a local wc lawyer to help you apply for wc benefits.

You never stated how you injured yourself. Given that you sustained the injury 2 years ago, I respectfully disagree with my colleagues. I believe that you should meet with an experienced Workers' Compensation attorney or at least discuss the matter on the phone BEFORE you seek any further treatment. You have already waited 2 years, too long.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by providing feedback that the answer was either "helpful" or "best answer" as appropriate. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question.

That's what I was afraid of. The fact that I could still walk and I wasn't in any real pain I just kept putting it off.

I find it hard to believe that you haven't sought treatment for a broken neck. The longer you wait the more difficult your claim becomes. Seek out a good work comp lawyer and ask him if you have used up your choices and ask him the recommend a top Spine surgeon.

No attorney client relationship has been formed until you sign a representation agreement.

I am not sure how or when the injury occurred based on the information above. However, the longer you wait to get treatment since the last visit to a physician, the more skeptical the insurance carrier or,more importantly, the arbitrator will be that it is related to your work injury. Did the employer direct you to the first doctor? If so, you may still have two choices of physician to get it checked out, but certainly have one choice based on the information provided (unless you independently went to a chiropractor on your own). While your research may have led you to believe you have a broken neck, i urge you to get it checked out, either at the ER, if in severe pain, or through your own chosen doctor. Note that work comp is not required to pay for a third treater you have chosen without a referral from the one of the first two or someone in the chain of either referral. When in doubt, contact a lawyer in your geographic area who knows what he or she is talking about. I hope this is helpful.

The most important thing is to determine what is actually wrong with your neck. I would suggest seeing a spine specialist and get the appropriate testing. While you are doing this, consult a local worker's compensation/personal injury attorney. They might even be able to help you find a doctor to give the 2nd opinion.

good luck

If you suspect that your neck may be broken you need to go to the local emergency room ASAP. Also have someone else drive you there please. You absolutely need to have x-rays taken at the very least. However, it seems that an MRI may be more appropriate. A chiropractor would not work on you without taking x-rays or at least examining you first. If you told a doctor what you said on here, they would likely advise you to go the emergency room. A serious injury is nothing to take lightly. Get the proper treatment to make sure you stay healthy.

If you were injured on the job, get a workers compensation attorney asap, assuming that this happened in Illinois, get one with a Illinois license