A divorce is inevitable but scared because I don't have a car or any of my own income and 2 boys from past. What can I do?

Naperville, IL |

My marriage has failed. It'll be our one year anniversary in May. As soon as we got married things got bad and continuously getting worse. I've lived in IL for year now but don't have my own car, we have been sharing and no job. Many health reasons.

You're in a bind. In a state distant from home (where is home, for you?), no job, no car, presumably no money, and two boys to care for, to boot. It sounds like you're entirely dependent on your husband (husband? wife?). I presume, too, that your spouse is exploiting your dire straits to his/her own advantage. For example, checking the mileage on the car when you're allowed to use it; giving you just enough money to buy groceries and expecting change and a receipt, back; not "allowing" you to have a cell phone or bank account in your own name.

You've get a way out and there IS light at the end of the tunnel.

You need to talk with an attorney. There is plenty that can be done, but the responsibility is yours to start the ball rolling.

You have to ask yourself if you want a divorce or try to work through the marriage difficulties. If you are ready to proceed with a divorce, you should consult with an attorney about what you can expect in a divorce given your situation. Based on the length of marriage and presuming you can agree on things relatively quickly with your spouse, some attorneys offer a flat fee divorce. The best first step is to talk with an attorney. More than likely you may need to seek employment or education/job training. If your health prevents you from working, have you looked into governmental assistance? Are your children from a previous relationship and is the other side paying support?

Any answers or information provided is for general information purposes only and is not intended to be a legal opinion, legal advice or a complete discussion of the legal issues. This is not intended to create a attorney-client relationship. Each individual's situation is different and you should seek independent legal advice from an attorney familiar with the laws of your state for specific information.

Hire an attorney to guide you through the process. You can look here for referrals.

Communication with an attorney does not by itself create an attorney/client relationship or constitute provision or receipt of legal advice. Any communication with an attorney should be considered informational use only, and should not be relied upon or acted upon until a formal attorney/client relationship is established via a written agreement.

Does your spouse have a job or access to any liquid money? You could try to retain an attorney and then ask that your spouse contribute to your fees....

When your health declined may be key in a potential divorce. I think any lawyer would want to know more about your particular situation to give you better advice. There are usually good and viable options for any spouse in a divorce situation - so the good news is that there's hope. Find a lawyer with a heart and willing to reduce his or her fees. You'll need that kind of help.