A disgruntled employee filed a false police report saying that I physically assulted her, can she be legally held responsible?

Asked over 3 years ago - Newark, OH

I have several witnesses in my office that saw everything that happened, all of whom wrote statements for me. She says I hit her with my office door, even went to the Dr. who diagnosed her with a contusion of the shoulder. This has really hurt me, I have been suspended from work pending the end of the investigation, the prosecutor has not made a decision on whether or not to file charges, but I really did no such thing. I have no criminal background and am a mother of 3. Now I have to worry that my children may have to see me being arrested. I am so confused as to how someone can do something like this and get away with it. Please help!

Attorney answers (4)

  1. John P Torgenson

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . I am not licensed to practice law in Ohio, and laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, so it is important that you seek out local advice. That being said, there are a couple of general legal principles that will likely apply to your situation

    I am sorry to hear that you are going through such a difficult situation. If all of the witnesses corroborate your version, then you could possibly see if you can file a complaint with the police for her filing of a false police report, which is under Ohio's Falsification statute and would constitute a first degree misdemeanor. You could also pursue civil claims like malicious prosecution, false light, and defamation depending on the exact factual situation. Good luck.

    John P. Torgenson
    Benedetto Torgenson, PLC
    Arizona Lawyers

  2. Randy William Ferguson

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Let the police finish their investigation. Tell them that if they are going to charge you to let you know and you will turn yourself in. Then hire an attorney and deal with the charges.

  3. Hadi Edward Ramsey

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . I am very sorry to hear about your horrible ordeal. Depending on the criminal prosecution back log of cases, your case may be investigated by the DA sooner than you think. Before you get a call from the prosecutor’s office, I suggest you speak to a criminal attorney in your state and discuss all facts specifically. Most criminal attorneys offer one hour free consultation. After evaluating all of the specific facts and retaining the attorney, your attorney can handle the case from thereon and tell you who you can speak to and who not to speak to directly. Defend your constitutional rights before its too late. Hope this helps.

    ATTORNEY DISCLAIMER TO THE ABOVE ANSWER: The information that I have provided to you is for general information purposes only and shall not be construed as legal advice for your individual circumstance. This information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship and you should consult with an attorney in your State directly so that the attorney has the full facts, documents, and an account from other witnesses that help support your contentions.

  4. Jeffrey Mark Adams

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You received excellent advise, in my view. Let me add that you should speak with a criminal attorney asap! Always protect yourself. Good luck

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,875 answers this week

3,100 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,875 answers this week

3,100 attorneys answering