A debt collection company has called my mothers house, 3 times now. once they left a message saying i owed a debt (automated)

Asked about 1 year ago - Colorado Springs, CO

2nd, she hung up when it started, 3rd it was answered on speaker phone from my elderly mother-in-law, and multiple people heard the system saying i owed a debt. I have called the company, and was told if idont settle it will be pursued, they well get a judgment, or even garnish my wages if i dont settle. do i have any recourse actions i can take against the company?

I live in Colorado if this helps

1. Bennett James Wills

Pro

1

Answered . They are required by law to follow the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act. From your facts, it doesn't seem like they have violated that. They are allowed to threaten you with a civil action and tell you about the methods they can pursue to collect. If you owe the debt, settle it. Otherwise, they will probably sue you, win, get a judgment, and then collect your bank accounts and wages, and put a lien on your real property.

They've done nothing illegal. You have no recourse. But you should try to avoid suit and a judgment. Pay your debt if you owe it.

2. Steven Scott Davis

1

Answered . The Fair Debt Collections Act offers some protection. From what you have provided, it does not appear to have been violated. If you do owe the money, they can proceed and garnishment and other collection activities are possible. If you don't owe it, ask them for the documents they are relying on, and if they are not yours, challenge them.