A debt collection attorney just called me and offered a "Mutual Walkaway" from the lawsuit against me.What does this do exactly?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Canoga Park, CA

Will they still be be able to sue me for the same debt at a later date?
Will I be able to obtain my attorney's fees from them (I know, probably not).


Attorney answers (3)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you have attorney's fees, you must have an attorney. If you have an attorney, the collector should direct all communications to your attorney, not to you.

    "Mutual walkaway" is an ambiguous phrase. IF there is a lawsuit on file, they would need to dismiss the lawsuit "with prejudice", meaning that they cannot file another lawsuit later. Are they asking you to release any possible claims, or even unknown claims, that you may have against them? Are they going to report the settlement to the IRS as "income" upon which you must pay taxes, using Form 1099-C?

    It would help if you met with an attorney to review the specifics of your situation.

  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . At a minimum you should request a mutual dismissal with prejudice to avoid a subsequent lawsuit.
    Better would be a Mutual General Release in addition to the above.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more
  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I assume he/she is telling you to enter into a mutual agreement wherein both parties drop all claims against each other and take nothing. However, you have to be careful in these agreements and make sure you cover all the bases. It might cost you a little, but I suggest you have a consumer lawyer look at this, at least any agreement. See www.ConsumerLawyerHelp.com

Related Topics


There are different types of debt, but all involve one person (the debtor) owing money to another (the creditor). Terms of repayment are governed by a contract.

Debt collection and debt settlement

If you face debt collection you may choose to fight it and defend against garnishment. You may also seek debt settlement as a way to negotiate with creditors.

Ryan Hardy

Accord and Satisfaction in Arizona

In Arizona, two parties can agree to a lesser amount than what is actually owed. In order for this to occur, there needs to be a clear indicator that a full satisfaction of the debt is... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,872 answers this week

3,663 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,872 answers this week

3,663 attorneys answering